Friday, February 12, 2010

A trip to the pharmacy

I occasionally get headaches, so I like to have some ibuprofen around. I forgot to bring some from the US, so I went out today to get some. Since such things cannot be purchased in grocery stores in Denmark, I went to an apotek.

At the apotek, it took some time to find the ibuprofen, but eventually I did, behind a locked glass door on a cabinet. It was clear that to get help one needed to take a number, but what appeared to be the number-producing machine had two buttons on it with descriptions that I couldn't figure out without a dictionary. So, I did what I've gotten in the habit of doing and asked a friendly-looking person if he spoke English, and after confirming that he did (they always do, so far), asked which button to push (the second one, since I didn't have a prescription to fill).

When my number came up, I asked the pharmacist if she spoke English (she did, with hardly any accent), and asked for some ibuprofen. She told me that they are currently having a "campaign" to discourage people from using ibuprofen because it can cause stomach problems. This took several minutes. She recommended that I buy paracetamol, which doesn't cause stomach problems, which I did. I'll have to look it up, but I assume it's fine.

All in all a pleasant, but significantly more complicated experience than in the US.

5 comments:

  1. I assume you figured out by now that it's acetomin...acetammen...ah heck, Tylenol.
    Shell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told Nicole's mom about this since she is a nurse. She said that they actually discourage acetaminaphen. Still don't feel like looking up how to spell that.

    Shell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm... well, hopefully I take it infrequently enough that it doesn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do realize that acetaminophen, while great for fevers, does SQUAT for headaches!!! Also, it causes liver problems in the way that ibuprofen causes stomach or kidney problems... primarily with overuse. ;)

    A nice mild mix of ibuprofen and caffeine works quite nicely on my headaches. Want me to mail some?

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the offer, Steph, but Kyle will be going to the US in a couple weeks for his brother's wedding, and will be able to pick some up then.

    ReplyDelete